In this Digital Photo Journal series, Daniel Roldan shares his personal views and storied photos as he travels across world educating artists on his craft, sharing tips, tools and techniques to creating inspired hairstyles — all while documenting via Instagram.
Find more inspired looks on Daniel's instagram channel @d_roldan
The Inspiration… Saint Petersburg, Russia
“One of the benefits of traveling is that you’re always experiencing new sites and sensations, which can be very inspirational. As a photographer, I capture these scenes and moments; but as a hairstylist, I strive to create looks that show my inspirations that can transcend beyond a photograph. For me, hair and photography go hand-in-hand as forms of expression that complement each other, telling stories about my travels. When I’m out and about, I’m always looking for different shapes, colors and infrastructures that serve as inspirations which are then reflected in my work.”
The Looks… Majestic Casual
“Russia is truly a spectacular place. I was so taken away by the beauty of the massive cathedrals that dominate the skyline – their presence just has such a phenomenal effect! They are majestic, silent and resilient, well-constructed and of course, extremely eye-catching. I wanted to create looks that symbolize all of those components, but in a more casual fashion. Sometimes, a good haircut is all you need to make a bold statement, so I decided to keep it simple and let the hair speak for itself. A short bob like these shows power and confidence – traits that are extremely strong and silently bold, just like the majestic cathedrals.”
Matrix, the number one American professional hair care company in the world, is at the forefront of salon education and innovation, helping professionals build on and improve their skills while creating cutting edge, first-to-market products. Daniel used the new Matrix Style Link line to create these inspired looks – Style Link allows for total styling freedom and makes it easy for anyone to prep, play and perfect!
Step by Step cut to create the look above (Graduated Bob):
1) On damp hair cut the perimeter 2 inches, below the hairline in the nape and establishing length (ear to ear).
2) Take a horizontal subsection in the nape, hold it at a 45 degree and cut creating graduation. Continue to elevate each subsection to complete the entire back, repeating the cutting technique.
3) Working on the sides take a diagonal subsection from front hairline to earlobe, elevating at 45 degree and cut creating graduation.
4) Once graduation is complete, blow-dry hair using Style Link Smooth Setter into shape.
5) Personalize by deep point cutting the hair using CUT Professional Series Dry Cut Scissor by Daniel Roldan
Step by Step styling to create the look above:
1) On dry hair, spray Style Link Heat Buffer to each subsection and crimp the entire head.
2) Once the head is completely crimped, spray Style Link Texture Builder to finish and style the hair.